OCCUPATIONAL THERAPY FIELDWORK EXPERIENCE
- Provide placement at The New Life School in Santa Maria de Jesus, Guatemala to provide school-based, early intervention, and outpatient services to children and young adults with disabilities up to the age of 21
- Coordinate family home-stay and transportation to and from the airport, along with orientation to the public transportation for daily trips to and from work
- Coordinate Spanish language lessons prior and during fieldwork placement
- Provide OT student budget of expenses
- Provide cultural, travel safety, and placement orientation prior to leaving for Guatemala; including process for registering OT student trip with Department of State
- Provide technology required for service provision and supervision of OT student, as well as a Guatemalan cell phone with emergency and professional contacts
- Provide a 40-60 hour work week in pediatric setting for 12 weeks, with on-site and long-distance direct supervision via audio-visual, in real time methods, and various other communication medium as required by ACOTE standards
Supervision will consist of:
EXPECTATIONS OF OT STUDENTS
- Demonstrate educational competency level for pediatric service fieldwork experience
- Demonstrate good communication and interpersonal skills across cultural boundaries
- Complete one 12-week fieldwork experience prior to GOT Ministries' Guatemalan placement to learn and demonstrate basic clinical reasoning and documentation skills
- For Master level OT students: all applicants must have had a 1-week long pediatric fieldwork
- For Doctorate level OT students: all applicants must have had a 3-month long pediatric fieldwork
- Complete application and interview, along with a Spanish language assessment.
- Complete necessary Spanish language courses via Spanish school indicated by GOT Ministries, prior to fieldwork in order to achieve the required moderate proficiency
- Demonstrate high level of self-initiation, communication skills, and reliability to support independent problem solving upon challenges or obstacles in this fieldwork.
- Demonstrate high level of compassion for children in third world countries and desire to provide services in area of need and poverty.
- Attend Guatemalan Spanish classes during fieldwork experience (2 hours twice a week) to support understanding of Guatemalan slang and important jargon and colloquial terminology for service provision.
- Independently fund fieldwork experience prior to leaving for placement. Please contact us for our OT Student Budget Form for more information on cost.
- Students are responsible for managing their international health insurance to cover the length of the stay
- When flights are purchased, general travel insurance is purchased to cover any emergency return to the US that may be required.
- Comply to rules and regulations placed by The New Life School administration and GOT Ministries (set in our orientation manual) during fieldwork experience.